Zucchini Garden Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Pinch sugar, optional
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the zucchini, onion, parsley and basil in butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in water. Add the bouillon and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the tomatoes, milk and corn; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until corn is tender.
- Just before serving, add cheeses; stir until melted. Stir in sugar. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 258 calories, 16g fat (11g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 905mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Nov 12, 2018
I have made this since first reading it in Taste of Home in the 1980's! It is one of my all time favorite soups.I use chicken broth instead of the water and granules. I also use a little less flour. My husband likes it with chicken, I don't so I sometimes make this as it is and add cooked chicken to his. Very easy, but I will say that I find it is not a keeper -- when you reheat whether in the microwave or on the stove it gets really watery. So Enjoy it all when you make it!
Oct 17, 2017
Although I really liked the flavor of this soup, I thought it was too thick (I only added 1/4 c. of cheddar) and I did not like the starchiness of frozen corn. Next time I will skip the flour and I will use canned corn. But overall very flavorful.
Jan 22, 2017
I made this wonderful soup years ago and remember how tasty it was. And very easy to make. Would recommend it.
Dec 9, 2016
Really tasty. I just used 1 1/2 cups of milk instead of evaporated milk.
Jul 22, 2016
Excellent!!! I too waited to add the cheese. Will make again!
Oct 11, 2015
Feb 26, 2015
Excellent soup, very flavorful and pretty simple to prepare.
Nov 7, 2013
This is very good for a cool Fall day. It's great for a week night meal because it is so quick. I did use fat free evap milk and never added cheese, it was good without it.
Aug 10, 2013
good considering there is a lot of zucchiniused half of cheese suggested, might try even less
Jul 18, 2013
This was quick and easy to make and very tasty. Next time I will try a can of fire roasted tomatoes for an extra kick. I also used fat free evaporated milk, omitted the cheeses, and used less butter for caloric reasons but still found it to be a yummy, rich tasting soup.