Zucchini Dessert Squares
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter
- 8 to 10 cups cubed seeded peeled zucchini (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly; reserve 3 cups. Pat remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, place zucchini and lemon juice in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; cover and simmer for 5 minutes (mixture will be thin).
- Spoon over crust; sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 375° until golden, 40-45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 337 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 16, 2020
I made this with peeled, seeded yellow squash - equally delicious!!!
Aug 11, 2019
I made this for a potluck after finding a humongous zucchini in my garden. I usually don't like to make "mock" dishes (why try to get something to taste like apples, just use real apples), but made this to feed the masses at a picnic. And I needed to do something with the gargantuan vegetable. It did taste like apples, in fact like apple crisp. But why shouldn't it? All of that sugar, flour and...1 1/2 cups of BUTTER!! I made this once, but I doubt if I would again...I just don't see the need. Unless I grow another gigantic zucchini.
Jul 16, 2019
OMG, what a awesome dessert! I took this dessert to a dinner get together, and the host couple thought it was apples, they had NO, clue that zucchini could be made into a delicious dessert, Hit was a BIG hit.
Dec 31, 2018
Very good. As long as you peel the zucchini, everyone will think this is an apple dessert. Took this to a potluck and all ages loved it.
Oct 26, 2018
I’ve making this since it was first published. That’s over 25 years. I make it every year. Joe, my significant other not big on cakes. This his birthday dessert. I’ve had people who wouldn’t eat anything made from zucchini but would scarf it down.
Sep 9, 2017
I really liked this hot. It is OK cold, but we preferred it hot with ice cream!
Aug 27, 2017
Had the whole family fooled. They thought it was apples! A great dessert.
Aug 24, 2017
Very good. Took it along to a camp out. No one could believe that it was zucchini. Didn't say if you should seed and peel zucchini. Will make again and again.
Aug 8, 2017
I have made this twice now and everyone has loved it. You really can't tell it is zucchini and not apples. I cut back a half of cup on the sugar, using 1 cup white sugar with 1/2 brown sugar. I also cut back 1/2 cup on the flour. An easy and quick recipe to put together. Love it!
Jul 26, 2017
You would think you are eating a baked apple dessert....you gotta try this! It is awesome warm and good after it cools...just like apple pie is. (If you are a vanilla ice cream on warm pie kind of person).I made the crust mixture and then I added about 3/ 4 cup oatmeal to the crust mixture that was set aside to put on the top.You will need 2 BIG zucchinis to make a 9 x 13....you can cut recipe in half and make 8 x 8.