Zucchini Beef Casserole
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup instant rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Crumble beef into a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish; sprinkle with garlic powder. Cover and microwave on high for 1-1/2 minutes; stir. Heat 1-2 minutes longer or until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and microwave on high for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender, stirring twice.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 230 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 845mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Aug 8, 2020
Really good! Added the juice from the tomatoes with the water amount. Also added cilantro for a little kick. Used half yellow summer squash since I have it. Once cooked added shredded sharp cheese into and on top. I’ll do this again!
Jun 12, 2014
not big on microwaving food so did it stove top instead. quick and easy.
May 20, 2013
Very good, but for my personal taste I would omit the soy sauce and use the juice from the canned tomatoes instead. Will make again! Quick, easy & yummy!
Aug 4, 2010
I used a good quality ground turkey, shredded the zucchini and up'd the seasonings a bit and my kids ate it! They heard we were having a zucchini casserole and were dreading dinner until they tried it. It was fairly similar to a baked chop suey recipe we like. I also finished it on the stove. The liquid just wasn't absorbing so I boiled it off. Great "jumping off point" recipe than can be adapted for different tastes!
Sep 9, 2009
This was very good, I made it in a pan on the stove though