Zesty Ham Sandwich
I learned that in Rome and other parts of Italy, pizza simply started out as bread with oil and herbs on it. In some locales, cheese, tomato and grilled meat were added. With the basic original pizza ingredients surrounding me, I was inspired to make a modern version of an ancient food and this recipe was born.—Mara Mcauley, Hinsdale, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 submarine roll (6 to 7 inches)
- 2 to 3 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 3 to 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon prepared Italian salad dressing or reduced-fat Caesar vinaigrette
- Split roll enough to open (don't cut all the way through); place open-faced on a baking sheet. Layer remaining ingredients in order listed over roll. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and sandwich is warm. Fold top of roll over and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 760 calories, 33g fat (14g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 1816mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 39g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.