Zesty Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 251 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Jan 19, 2014
Delicious! The stew beef comes out very tender and the pizza sauce provides extra kick. I added 1/4 teaspoon of granulated garlic.
Jun 8, 2013
Sorry, tried it twice. Really wanted it to work. Maybe I went too cheap on the beef? We genuinely enjoyed the barley.
Dec 10, 2011
I did add two tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar to this and other than that, I thought it was the best beef stew that I've had.
Oct 29, 2010
This is amazing!!!! AWESOME!!!! I would rate it higher if I could!!!!