Yummy Sweet ‘n’ Sour Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; crumble beef over top and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- In a skillet, brown meatballs on all sides, turning often; remove and set aside. Drain fat.
- For sauce, add the brown sugar and cornstarch to the skillet. Stir in the pineapple, vinegar and soy sauce until blended. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add green pepper; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until tender. Return meatballs to skillet and heat through.
Jan 5, 2016
Very easy and and tasty my whole family loves them and always want me to make them
Feb 27, 2011
Easy and Very Good!
Sep 11, 2010
I found that the recipe as written doesn't really make enough meatballs, so I double the meatball ingredients. I also double the amount of Worcestershire sauce in the meatball mix. The sauce is really good. My daughter loves this dish served over chow mein noodles.
Aug 21, 2009
Excellent super easy recipe! I sometimes double the meatball part and freeze part of them to have a quick supper on hand-all I have to do is make more sauce. Even my kids gobbled these up! That's a winner in my book!
Jul 9, 2009
No comment left
Mar 20, 2009
I first tried this recipe when I gave my mother the Country Ground Beef cookbook. My family enjoys it too. The meatball recipe is great by themselves...the recipe has become the standard for the meatballs in our spaghetti and meatballs.