Yellow Summer Squash Relish
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + marinating Process: 15 min.
- 10 cups shredded yellow summer squash (about 4 pounds)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 6 tablespoons canning salt
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon each celery seed, ground mustard and ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large container, combine squash, onions, green pepper and salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain; rinse and drain again.
- In a Dutch oven, combine sugar, vinegar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add squash mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into six hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Refrigerate remaining relish for up to 1 week.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 36 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 17, 2020
Our summer garden produced a huge amount of yellow squash this year, so I took to the internet for a new recipe. This one was awesome. I was skeptical but fully enjoyed the result. We had hot links and this relish was perfect.
Jul 11, 2020
I've been making and sharing this recipe for about 3 years now and I have to say it is the bomb! My husband puts it on everything from Pork loin to Meatloaf, sandwiches as aside, it is versatile and easy to make, if you like pickle relishes you will probably love this.
Jun 30, 2020
Really good! I like spicy so I added 3 serrano peppers and 2 habanero peppers. Just the right amount of heat. I will be making more of this!
Jun 21, 2020
Apr 8, 2018
Great recipe and love the fact it is shreds instead of slices.
Nov 27, 2017
I used to have this recipe but it was lost. Thank you for posting it. This stuff is so delicious! I really don't like beans but with this along side I really like them. It's good with most anything even mix with tuna salad or atop hot dogs in place of pickle relish. A real keeper!
Nov 14, 2017
THANKS, looking forward to making this
Aug 18, 2017
THIS RECIPE IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!THE BEST I HAVE EVER MADE.
Jul 28, 2017
Sounds good, I make squash pickles, so I'm sure we would love this.
Jun 27, 2017
Used some of my big squash to make this yummy relish today. I ground my vegetables attachment. Can't wait to have it on dried beans.