Katie also shares this recipe, which has an interesting story behind it. "According to our family, if you break a Wishing Cookie in three pieces and eat all three without speaking, your wish will come true," she relates.—Katie Koziolek, Hartland, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, molasses, water and orange zest; mix well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into stars or desired shapes and place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, combine sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency. Ice cookies as desired.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.