Winter Salad with Orange Cream
This easy-to-make salad has great eye-appeal, and the dressing can be made a day ahead for convenience. It's especially festive-looking with red grapefruit and red pears.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1small bunch romaine
- 2 medium grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 medium pears, cut into thin wedges
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in orange juice and zest until blended. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Cover surface with plastic wrap; cool for 30 minutes without stirring. Fold in yogurt. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place orange cream in a serving bowl. Place in the center of a 13-in. serving platter. Line platter with romaine leaves; tear remaining romaine and place over leaves. Top with grapefruit and orange sections. Sprinkle pears and avocado with lemon juice; arrange over fruit. Garnish with walnuts.