Winning Cream of Cauliflower Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Fresh tarragon, optional
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Add cauliflower, broth, parsley, salt and pepper, basil and tarragon. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk and whipping cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 2 minutes. Add to cauliflower mixture. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently, 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Garnish with tarragon if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 286 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1083mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Jun 5, 2020
|I just cooked and tasted this soup and it is awesome. It sure is a winner.
Apr 9, 2020
Where does the chicken broth come into play? It isn't mentioned in Step 1 or 2. This recipe is missing steps.
Jul 4, 2018
Absolutely delicious! I added lightly sauteed fresh corn and a little grated cheese on top. Thank you. This is a keeper!
May 16, 2018
My dad cant stand cauliflower, but he had two helpings of this, so good!
May 15, 2018
I would rate it as a great soup. I love soup even in summer or should I say late Spring. I did roast the cauliflower in my oven. Saw that in another recipe. My husband thought it was very good that way. I will give it 4 1/2.
May 3, 2018
Maggie...I don't see the problem here. It is well written. Since, you are an experienced cook you must have read all the way through because it does say to combine. I've done this recipe many times with no issues on the directions. Step 3 is enjoy!
Feb 12, 2018
What a horribly written recipe! Step one... Step 2 and so now what????Though, being that I am a somewhat experienced cook I did figure out that the ingredients from step 1 were to be blended with the ingredients from step 2. But seriously... if you are going to post a recipe, post it as you have never made it before and are going through the instructions STEP by STEP.. by STEP... these instructions seem to be missing that third STEP! Which is a continuing and on going problem with everyone and anyone posting to the internet!
Jan 18, 2018
EXCELLENT recipe. Made this yesterday exactly as the recipe states. No need to change a thing. Nice and creamy.
Nov 11, 2017
My across-the-street neighbor made this delicious soup and was kind enough to share some with me. It is a creamy (yet light) and hearty soup ... with just a little sweetness from the grated carrots... just perfect to warm you during the cold months ahead. She followed the recipe exactly ... the only thing I may do when I make it is to add a little bit of cooked and crumbled bacon. I give it 5 stars!
Oct 17, 2017
Great base and easy to tweak to taste. I followed but used 2 green onions I needed to use up, ( I assume recipe meant yellow or white?) and added two more large chopped garlic cloves, a little more salt and pepper,and 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. It was very creamy and tasted wonderful!