Whole Wheat Rolls
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Canola oil, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, sugar, yeast and salt; set aside. In a large saucepan, heat milk, water and butter to 120°-130° add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into 12 balls. Place in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Brush tops with oil if desired.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 196 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Sep 16, 2019
Easy to make, nice chew to them as well BUT they are WAY too sweet.
Jan 17, 2018
This was my first attempt at making rolls. I followed the recipe as is and they were DELICIOUS. I researched several recipes for rolls but this one seemed to be the most straightforward and used ingredients that I already had in my cupboard. This is an immediate addition to my recipe box. Thanks for a delicious, easy-to-follow, recipe!
Nov 2, 2014
This was my first time making bread and they were gone in seconds (family of 7). Delicious! Thanks so much for a simple, tasty recipe.
Nov 2, 2013
Reduced the fat and sugar to 2/3 of the recipe and increased the proportion of whole wheat - to try to make it healthier - and they still turned out great!
Mar 26, 2013
No comment left
Jul 17, 2009
Love this recipe, have been making it for years, it's a family favorite.