Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound sliced process cheese or 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, rice, green pepper, onion and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes. Top with cheese slices or shredded cheddar; cook until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 296 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 852mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Nov 25, 2016
One of our favorites. Easy, quick, and left overs are great.
Aug 19, 2013
I agree with the other comment that there isn't enough liquid to cook a cup of rice. I ended up adding a cup or so of leftover cooked rice instead and that worked out fine.
Jul 15, 2010
I live at an elevation of 6200 ft There isn't enough fluid to cook a cup of rice. I'm going to try to modify the recipe as I like all the ingredients