Warm Chocolate Melting Cups
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 large egg white, room temperature
- Sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cocoa, flour and salt. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the chocolate chips, coffee and vanilla until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat eggs and egg white until slightly thickened. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Transfer to ten 4-oz. ramekins coated with cooking spray. Place ramekins in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or just until centers are set. Garnish with strawberries if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 dessert: 197 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 21, 2020
Is there anything you can sub for the coffee? We’re not coffee drinkers. Thanks
Feb 21, 2020
has anyone tried cutting the recipe in half? I would definitely eat them if there are too many left over!
Jul 15, 2019
Wow! Easy and super delicious!
Feb 12, 2018
for no name Feb 5-I go to thrift stores just to see what I can find and ramekins are 90% available-like set of 4 matching glass dark cobalt blue $3
Feb 5, 2018
I don't have ramekins-does anyone have a suggestion of what else I could use? Thanks in advance
Feb 4, 2018
No comment left
Dec 14, 2017
To answer the silerk question: Yes, this recipe is quite similar to a Molten Lava Cake.
Mar 30, 2017
I'm not sure if I made them incorrectly or if they are supposed to be NOT cake like. My cups came out very much like a pudding with a crispy crust on top. Is that right?
Sep 6, 2016
Has anyone attempted this recipe using Splenda or Splenda brown sugar as a substitute for white sugar? I'm curious if it would work...it would sure cut the calories!!773 calories in one cup of sugar...even divided it's too many for this gal's diet! How about we cut those calories to about 100 total calories from Splenda sugar? :)
Jan 15, 2015
This recipe is definitely a keeper. Quick and easy, plus they hold nicely for another day or to make ahead.