Vietnamese Chicken Meatball Soup with Bok Choy
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup bok choy leaves, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup fresh baby carrots, julienned
- 1 cup julienned roasted sweet red peppers
- 3 serrano peppers, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs, optional
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Add chicken; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 3/4-in. balls. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown meatballs in batches; drain. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Add stock, tomatoes, onion, bok choy, carrots, red peppers, julienned serrano peppers, garlic and salt. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meatballs are cooked through and vegetables are tender. If desired, stir in panko. Without stirring, drizzle beaten egg into slow cooker. Let stand until egg is set, 2-3 minutes. Freeze option: Before adding egg, cool soup. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth if necessary. Without stirring, drizzle beaten egg into soup. Let stand until egg is set, 2-3 minutes.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 147 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Jun 24, 2020
I followed the recipe somewhat loosely, but I owe a debt of gratitude nonetheless for the inspiration for the dish I made. It was delicious! Incidentally, I usually think people who don’t bother to follow the recipe have no business rating it unless they loved it, but I did!!!!
Apr 30, 2020
I also made this on the stovetop but it turned out like a restaurant dish - full of vegetables and flavor. Being able to put it in a slow cooker on a busy day will be a treat when I make it again. I'd never used baby bok choy before, but am now a fan!
Apr 26, 2020
I made this stovetop mostly because I forgot to start making dinner earlier, but our whole family loved the chicken meatballs and all of the vegetables.
Jan 27, 2020
I am actually very offended. There is NOTHING Vietnamese about this soup. I wish people would quit saying Asian, or any other nationality thing because they used a few Asian ingredients in their throw together recipes.
Sep 30, 2019
Not buying this needs 6 hours to cook in a slow cooker. Those things literally leech the life out of foods. I find nothing on the web to support this method either, with Vietnamese soups. You'll get all the freshness of a can of Campbell's soup that's been on the shelf for six months, if you use a slow cooker. One star. But four stars stovetop. Use Nam Pla, not salt!