Very Chocolate Brownies
More Chocolate Brownie Recipes »
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour to chocolate mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil and grease the foil. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool completely.
- For topping, melt chocolate chips and butter with water in a microwave; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Fold in whipped cream. Spread over brownies. Chill before cutting. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 160 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 25, 2020
Almost 30 years ago I was one of the first subscribers to Taste of Home magazine. This was one of the recipes I cut out and used for many MANY years for any occasion we could think of. Hands down I’ve never tasted better brownies! My 30 year old son called the day of his 8th anniversary to ask for the recipe. You rock Arlene Butler!! Thank you for sharing and making me popular among friends and family with this recipe!!
Feb 27, 2019
I love these brownies! My kids loved them growing up! They look so pretty and are not super difficult to make! My daughter took these to work and the guys she worked with were arguing if they were brownies or fudge! Definitely let the brownies completely cool or the icing melts on top and becomes soupy. My daughter found this out the hard way but the guys loved them regardless!
Nov 4, 2017
Use this for the best brownies
Feb 15, 2017
The BEST brownie recipe ever! The first time I saw this in the Taste of Home magazine I made it to take to kindergarten class for my son's 6th birthday. Today, he's turning 23 and he still requests them! These brownies always get rave reviews from kids and grownups alike. Thank you for sharing this recipe Arlene Butler!
Jun 12, 2013
No comment left
May 22, 2013
This is the absolute best brownie ever! It melts in your mouth.
Oct 13, 2012
This recipe for the brownies was so good. I did not have the cream to make the topping, so I did the brownies with a chocolate icing from another brownie recipe.Yum! Will make them again and again. I will try the topping with the Chocolate Brownies Recipe next time. Best brownie ever, thank you for sharing.
Jun 20, 2011
This is an excellent recipe, I've made it several times. I'm going to use it as a base for the Mint Sundae Brownie Squares recipe since I'm not a big fan of box brownie mix.
Apr 29, 2011
I used this recipe to make brownie bites with miniature reeses peanute butter cups pressed in the middle! Out of this world :) I also think they would be really good with rolos in the center.
Oct 7, 2010
I was short on time so I used a boxed brownie mix for the bottom. Was very tasty! I would like to try the full recipe another time.