I started making these sandwiches after sampling a similar version in a local restaurant. They're especially tempting as a quick summer meal using the season's freshest produce.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion rings
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 French rolls, split
- 8 thin green pepper rings
- 8 slices Colby-Monterey Jack cheese or cheddar cheese, halved
- 8 thin slices tomato
- 20 thin slices zucchini
- 8 thin sweet red pepper rings
- 1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- In a skillet, saute onion rings and mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; set aside. Combine remaining butter with garlic powder, onion powder and celery seed; spread over cut sides of rolls. Broil 4-5 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Place about 1/4 cup mushroom mixture on the bottom of each roll. Layer with green pepper rings and two cheese slices. On top halves, layer tomato and zucchini slices, red pepper rings, olives and remaining cheese.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Put tops and bottoms of sandwiches together.