Vegetable Oven Pancake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place butter in a 9-in. pie plate; heat in a 450° oven until melted. Carefully tilt pan to coat bottom and sides. In a large bowl, beat the flour, eggs, milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth. Pour into pie plate. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until puffed around the edges and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the broccoli, green pepper, tomato and onion in water for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain well. Add pepper and remaining salt.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over pancake; top with vegetables and remaining cheese. Bake 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut into four wedges; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 308 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 158mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Jun 30, 2016
So simple but so delicious! I only made a few very small changes. I only used 1/2C green pepper and then added in 1/2C of zucchini. I used yellow onion instead of red (I don't like red). Also, I used a "pizza mix" of cheese instead of just cheddar. This came out SO good! My husband and I almost finished the entire thing. My only small complaint (and not really a complaint, more like an FYI), when I cooked the vegetables on the skillet, it took a while for the broccoli. Make sure you give yourself enough time. Also, I only needed to cook the "pancake" for 12 minutes, and any longer it would have burned. I will definitely make this again.Update: I tried making this again but there just didn't seem to be enough water to cook the vegetables. Maybe I had the heat too high. I wound up adding more water but I think that got absorbed by the vegetables and the pancake portion was a bit soggy. I'll have to be careful of that next time.
Jan 16, 2014
Great recipe for this vegetarian. I did change it slightly. Instead of cooking the vegetables in water (and losing most of the vitamins), I sauted them in a little bit of olive oil. They were still bright green in color.
Oct 1, 2013
Feb 9, 2012
I wouldn't call it pancake but more a pizza pie. We used leftovers from our veggie tray from SuperBowl. So we had carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, onion, peppers, and mushrooms. It was excellent. My daughter didn't think it looked good but after a bite...delicious!
Jan 23, 2011
This was easy and good. I made it in a toaster oven so it didn't even heat up the kitchen.
Oct 28, 2010
this turned out just like the picture! easy & pleasing. a nice light way to consume your veggies. the husband was impressed. next time will try out on friends maybe with some additional or different veg.
Jul 17, 2010
Very easy and my kids ate it right down! The key is to choose veggies that they enjoy, I think. Then the rest is easy.
Feb 20, 2010
Great meatless recipe. I buy the baby broccoli which I prefer, since it is not one of my favorite vegetables.
Aug 30, 2009
This was SO good. The "pancake" part was so light and the dish tasted like a vegetable omelet. We will definitely make this again.
Aug 7, 2009
I'm not even a big fan of veggies and I loved it! Very flavorful.