Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add red pepper, carrot and onion; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini and garlic; cook and stir until squashes are crisp-tender.
- Stir in tomato paste, broth, brown sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix egg and ricotta cheese. Spread 1 cup vegetable mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Layer with two noodles (trim to fit pan), half of the ricotta mixture, about 1-1/2 cups vegetable mixture and two additional noodles. Top with remaining ricotta mixture, noodles and vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheeses and Italian seasoning. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 432 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 857mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 7g fiber), 20g protein.
Jun 2, 2020
This was DELICIOUS!! We had a party of 6 and it was our main dish and we had we still had 2 pieces left. I'm hoping I can experience even more flavor tomorrow! I made some minor adjustments: I added broccoli, put mozzarella into the ricotta cheese and egg mixture, used cumin and rosemary.
Jul 12, 2016
Made this today and everyone--husband, daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter--loved it. Did not change anything except for adding a little Parmesan to the ricotta mixture. This is a keeper, and will be good as a Lenten meal.
Jul 7, 2016
Made this as is. It was delicious. Even my meat eating husband loved it. Will definitely make again.
Mar 29, 2016
Made this tonight and it was amazing! I did not have yellow squash so I doubled the zucchini and I don't like mushrooms so I used green peppers in addition to the red. Other than that I made as directed. I will definitely make again and put in my meal rotation!
Sep 9, 2013
This was tasty and worth the work.
Sep 6, 2013
First time rating a recipe but this one was great!!! Makes a lot though for two people but freezes very well.
Aug 23, 2013
I made this for supper tonight with the abundance of vegetables from my garden. It was excellent! The only thing I did differently was use green pepper instead of mushrooms since I'm not a fan. My husband thought it was a nice change from traditional lasagna, which he loves.
Aug 20, 2013
No comment left
Oct 15, 2012
No comment left
Nov 15, 2009
No comment left