Vegetable Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 cups water
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, carrots and celery over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the water, bouillon, tomatoes, beans, barley, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 113 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jul 29, 2019
This is a very versatile soup: if I use black beans, I add salsa to pep it up. If I use navy or cannelloni beans, then I add fresh basil and Italian spices to add more flavor to the soup. I don't really care for frozen spinach, so I just add fresh at the very end.
Feb 18, 2013
No comment left
Jan 20, 2012
I have made this soup numerous times. It is very hearty tasting even though it is a lighter calorie soup. My husband also loves it, especially because of the barley.