Vegan Tortilla Soup
Quinoa may be an unconventional ingredient, but it adds protein in this vegan tortilla soup, making it hearty enough for a main dish. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional ingredients: Cubed avocado, lime wedges and additional chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add broth, quinoa, and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, and cilantro; heat through. If desired, serve with optional ingredients.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 182 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 792mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Aug 13, 2020
This soup was amazing! The only changes I made was adding some grilled chicken to it and topped with tortilla strips right before serving. The flavor was perfect and the quinoa was a great addition.
Mar 3, 2020
No comment left