Vanilla Cream Puff Dessert
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups cold 2% milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Chocolate syrup
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Continue beating until smooth and shiny. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° until puffed and golden brown, 28-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, milk and pudding mixes until smooth. Spread over the crust; refrigerate for 20 minutes. Spread whipped topping over filling. Store in the refrigerator. Just before serving, drizzle with chocolate syrup.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 248 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 19, 2020
So delicious! About like eating a chocolate eclair and I JUST LOVE CHOCOLATE ECLAIRS! I made it as it was written and wouldn't change a thing. The reason for the 4 stars instead of 5 stars is because the bottom part of the crust was a little solidified and I would have liked it a little flakier.
Jan 15, 2020
Made this, awesome. I sliced sugared strawberries to bring out juice and sliced bananas. Layered banana’s on pudding, dribbled strawberry juice on top of banana’s, then whipped cream, then strawberries then chocolate sauce and a little sprinkling of chopped peanuts on top. It tasted like a banana split. ????
Oct 12, 2019
Delicious, but why would anyone choose "whipped topping" over actual whipped cream? Those tubs of topping are made of water, followed by hydrogenated vegetable oil, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, and — finally — skim milk. You're ruining your beautiful desserts with syrupy oil. Yuck.
Sep 2, 2019
This gets rave reviews whenever I make it and it's really pretty simple to make. I followed the recipe, but I allowed the dough to cool a full ten minutes before adding the eggs . I also used a 9 x 13 inch pan, and refrigerated the crust overnight and filled it the following day. Great recipe!
Aug 11, 2019
I made this for the first time to bring to a gathering. Everyone loved it! I made it exactly according to the recipe.
Aug 4, 2019
My grandma made this recipe many years ago and called it Moon Cake because the crust looks like moon craters after it's baked. It is best served very cold and is delicious with a steaming hot cup of coffee or a glass of ice-cold milk. My family just loves it.
Aug 4, 2019
What a great idea! Fairly simple and OH, sooo good!
Aug 7, 2017
I've been making this recipe for 20 plus years. It is a family favorite. In fact my Husband always wanted this instead of a birthday cake. When I made it I used sugar free pudding along with sugar free whipped topping with my husband being a diabetic. Another added hint I would add sliced bananas to change it up a bit. June
Aug 7, 2017
I have been making this recipe for 30 yrs since I was a teenager. We called it ?clair cake. It is a family favorite.
Aug 7, 2017