Upside-Down Orange French Toast
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 12 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- Place butter in a 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine the sugar, pecans, orange zest and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter. Arrange bread in dish. Spread with cream cheese. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, orange juice, orange liqueur if desired and butter flavoring; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. To serve, invert slices onto plates.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 517 calories, 33g fat (16g saturated fat), 343mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Jan 29, 2019
Made this over the weekend. It was delicious. I forgot to take the cream cheese out to soften so I used honey pecan soft spread cream cheese instead. Did not have the orange zest or the orange liqueur, but it was delicious anyway. Made the whole recipe for just the 2 of us, but it is great warmed up in the microwave. This is a keeper.
Apr 28, 2013
No comment left
Apr 27, 2012
Dec 31, 2011
I found this recipe but as I made it found I did not have half the ingredients. Substitutes 50/50 orange juice and tropical fruit juice for the 1 cup Orange juice, had no cream cheese and used sliced almonds instead of pecans - still tasted wonderful. I only made 7 slices as we only have 2 adults, a 2 year old and a 4 year old, next time I will only make 5 slices as the french toast was way too filling for us (even the adults) to eat it all.
Sep 14, 2011
Ever since I came across this recipe, my family has loved me for finding it. This recipe is an official holiday/special occasion breakfast. I always have to make a double recipe because everybody wants seconds! (And there is only 5 people in my family...)
Apr 17, 2011
The cinnamon-sugar topping is heavenly! However, as much as I love cream cheese, I really think this recipe would be much better without it.
Jan 23, 2010
I loved this French Toast..add the orange..Hum Hum!
Jan 22, 2010
This is grrreat!
Jan 22, 2010
This is good!
Jan 21, 2010