Upside-Down Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 5 to 7 tablespoons orange juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 1/8 inch thick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Gradually add orange juice, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into two balls. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with heavy-duty foil, leaving 1-1/2 in. beyond edge; coat the foil with cooking spray. Combine 4 tablespoons butter, brown sugar and pecans; spoon into prepared pie plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining butter; toss gently.
- On waxed paper, roll out one ball of pastry to fit pie plate. Place pastry over nut mixture, pressing firmly against mixture and sides of plate; trim to 1 in. beyond plate edge. Fill with apple mixture.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim to 1/4 in. beyond plate edge. Fold bottom pastry over top pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut four 1-in. slits in top pastry.
- Bake at 375° for 50-55 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown (cover edges with foil during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary).
- Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Invert onto a serving platter; carefully remove foil. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over pie.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 613 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 92g carbohydrate (60g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Mar 14, 2018
Had to omit the pecans due to allergies, but it was still amazing! Loved the orange in the crust.
Dec 11, 2017
This crust is the original Sardi's Pastry Recipe! Delicious! I did two layers of apples mixture, instead of the pecans, and made in a 9x12 pan. Wonderful!
Sep 14, 2016
I love the idea of the orange juice in the crust instead of water! I will have to try that.
Feb 7, 2016
My family has not stopped asking me to make another one. It was gone in 1 day!
Oct 10, 2015
All I have to say is I have never been a fan of apple pie, but I decided to make this because my husband is, and it was amazing!! I have my 2nd one this week baking right now to take to a friends house tonight. The only thing I changed was I used milk in the glaze instead of orange juice. But the crust was the best! Some other reviews said that the top didn't get dark enough when flipped, but I used dark brown sugar and the top looked fine. Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe!!
Sep 27, 2014
This is my family's new favorite apple pie. It was delicious! I had to stop my kids from eating a second piece.
Mar 25, 2014
This pie is so much better than classic apple pie...and that's the verdict of a family that loves classic apple pie!Since I don't have a deep-dish pie pan, I used a standard 9-inch pan and ended up using only 5 cups of apples, but I kept the amounts of the spices the same and it was fine.A word of advice: put a pan or cookie sheet under the pie while it bakes...it drips a lot, and it could get messy to clean up!
Nov 26, 2013
This pie was fantastic! I tried flipping it upside down but then realized that I didn't have the ingredients for the glaze so I put it right back in the pie plate, right-side-up so it was less messy and easier to serve. It was wonderful even that way! I think I will serve it that way from now on and save a little on those extra calories :)
Oct 20, 2013
awesome apple pie that makes you drool for more. I put a layer of prepared caramel you use for apple dip as a layer in the apples. Gave it a caramel apple flavor. Love this pie
Oct 15, 2013
This pie is soo good!! I used Fuji apples and left off the glaze. I will definitely make this as my go to apple pie!!! LOVE!!