Ultimate Fudgy Brownies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules, optional
- 2-3/4 cups bittersweet chocolate chips, divided
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line a 9-in. square baking pan with parchment, letting ends extend up sides. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugars, butter, water and, if desired, coffee granules; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add 1-3/4 cups chocolate chips and stir until melted. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until foamy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla; gradually whisk in chocolate mixture. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; stir into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake on a lower oven rack 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Lifting with parchment, remove brownies from pan. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 344 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 12, 2020
I used an 11x7 pan after reading the reviews and it still went above the pan. And it was very crumbly....not finger food brownies. But they are super chocolatey.......not sure I’ll make them again. Have no idea how they can be made in a 9x9. But my husband enjoyed them, and they will get eaten!!!
Dec 13, 2019
I have a question regarding the chips. Regular chips have caffeine. Therefore I would use the carob chips. How would that differ in the taste? I am allergic to caffeine.
Sep 4, 2019
Very tasty brownies! I 100% agree with Leslie’s review from January. Everything she described happed to me as well. I had a 9”x9” square pan, however, just as the recipe asked but it still rose much too high over the pan and I ended up doing the EXACT same thing as Leslie’s review. Next time, I’ll do a 9”x13” pan because the brownie is very, very tasty.
Sep 3, 2019
For those of you who do not know there is a difference between bittersweet chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips. This recipe calls for Bittersweet chocolate chips and you really do need the 9x9" square pan for it to turn outright. Mine came out perfect
Jan 18, 2019
I was so excited to try these brownies based on the ingredient list, ease of preparation, and the reviews. I followed the direction exactly, with the exception of using milk chocolate rather than the semi-sweet. I only have 8x8 pans...and there was sooo much batter...I knew I should have used a larger pan...but proceeded. The brownies rose almost 2 inches above the top of the pan. I baked 40min, lower rack in a 325 degree oven. Still very sloppy. So baked 10 more minutes. Not wanting to go beyond the time and the warning to not over-baked...I took them out depending on the reviews that side they would firm up as they cooled. After an hour of cooling the center sunk leaving an 8x8 brownie bowl! The top was wonderfully crackly, the edges were a bit airy, and the center still uncooked but much like a lava cake. The taste was very good though. I will try these again, in a larger pan obviously. And maybe I'll try a slightly hotter oven. Go for it...the milk chocolate made a good taste...no coffee flavor 'came through'. Very rich tasting though. I'm not a sweet eater anymore, but I had to try them before thinking of giving it another go at a later time.
Sep 18, 2017
The coffee flavor gives a burst of great enjoyment to coffee enthusiasts
Oct 5, 2016
Been adding Espresso powder and chocolate chips to my brownies for years! It's the secret ingredient that makes everyone go WOW!
Sep 23, 2016
These are sooo good. Ina Garten (barefoot contessa) always adds instant coffee to her chocolate recipes so I do too! You don't taste the coffee, they just add a depth of flavor. Thanks for the recipe!
Sep 19, 2016
I followed the recipe exactly and they turned out exactly as the picture. They are AMAZING!! I used Hershey Dark choc chips. They are quite rich but taste so indulgent. I want to try them again with milk choc chips to see how that turns out. I baked them in a 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 inch pan, on the very bottom rack at 325 for 40 minutes then moved them to the center rack for 10 more minutes. I also will try a little larger pan next time just to help the center cook a little better.
Jan 21, 2016
Fantastic brownie!!! This is thick! This is chocolaty! This is Fudgy! It was everything it promised it would be. I have made these 4 times already and I even tried it in a 13x9 pan, baking less time of course. All were fantastic although I personally preferred the thicker ones. My old brownie recipe will never be made in my kitchen again.