Tropical Chicken Salad
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 can (20 ounces) chunk pineapple, drained
- 2 large firm bananas, sliced
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Salad greens, optional
- 3/4 cup salted peanuts or cashew halves
- Place chicken and celery in a large bowl. Combine mayonnaise and curry powder; add to chicken mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Before serving, add the pineapple, bananas, oranges and coconut; toss gently. Serve on salad greens if desired. Sprinkle with nuts.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 610 calories, 45g fat (9g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
May 19, 2019
This one is a keeper. My daughter had doubts about when I told her what was in before I made it. But at dinner she said it made her mouth happy. I worried that it would not be filling but it worked just fine for us and we do not eat like birds.
Mar 14, 2019
Hubby loved i!. I used crushed pineapple, there are many variations to this. I added a little green onion, left out coconut and banana but will add grapes next time. We put it in tortillas since I didn't have lettuce at the time. We both liked the curry flavor, but I used the lesser amount.
Aug 3, 2015
Great main dish chicken salad. Curry flavor with the fruit really complements each other.
Mar 13, 2014
Curry is wa-a-ay to overpowering for me, so I left it out.
Feb 18, 2013
Could you use a different spice than curry. My family does not like curry flavor. Other than that it was very good. I used cashews as some of the members of my family are allergic to peanuts.
Jun 1, 2012
Nice change for chicken salad - I used half mayo half yogurt and 1tsp curry. Big hit
Apr 20, 2012
I make this a couple of times each summer, and it's always a big hit!
Jul 28, 2011
No comment left
Jun 10, 2011
My two teenaged sons love this recipe, and consider it a special treat when I make it for them. Definitely a keeper!
May 30, 2011
I'm glad to find a chicken salad with curry powder in it. I had a similare recipe and lost it. It sounds wonderful.