Tropical Bread Pudding
"This fruity twist on an old-fashioned favorite is plain delicious," confirms Katie Sloan of Charlotte, North Carolina. "Who says you can't make a custard dessert for just two?"
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup cubed French bread (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 small firm banana, sliced
- 3 tablespoons crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 tablespoon sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place half of the bread cubes in a 2-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the banana, pineapple, coconut and lemon juice; spoon over bread cubes. Top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a bowl, beat the egg and brown sugar. Add the cream and vanilla; mix well. Pour over bread and press down slightly. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Jun 28, 2017
I loved the pineapple and banana flavors! Bread pudding is usually considered a "heavy" or rich dessert, but the tropical flavors in this recipe really bring some freshness to the dish!