Triple Mash with Horseradish Bread Crumbs
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-3/4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium parsnips (about 1-1/4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 2-1/2 cups cubed peeled rutabaga
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes, parsnips, rutabaga and salt in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until toasted, 3-5 minutes. Stir in horseradish; remove from heat.
- Drain vegetables; return to pot. Mash vegetables over low heat, gradually adding milk, pepper and remaining butter. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with bread crumbs.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 199 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 1, 2015
Yum, yum, yum, yum...! This recipe is delicious. I mixed a bit more horseradish into the veggies and used panko mixed with a little oil instead of soft breadcrumbs. I also coarsely mashed the veggies. We had it with pork chops. I will make the patties with the leftovers. Thank you Lily for a wonderful (memories of my Nana's cooking) recipe...a keeper!
Feb 16, 2015
Really great! Even the family liked it - they were a little skeptical at first, but when they have seconds, I know it's a hit!
Jan 28, 2015
My husband and I tried this last night and we ate over half of it. He took half of what was left with him today to go with the bbq wings we had with it for lunch.
Jul 28, 2013
No comment left