Traditional Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 3 slices bread
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°. Tear bread into 2-inch pieces; place in a blender. Cover and pulse to form coarse crumbs; transfer to a large bowl. Stir in egg, milk, cheese, onion, carrot, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients; spread over loaf. Bake 60-75 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Freeze option: Bake meat loaf without glaze. Securely wrap cooled meat loaf in foil, then freeze. To use, partially thaw meat loaf in refrigerator overnight. Prepare and spread glaze over top; reheat on a greased shallow baking pan in a preheated 350° oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 394 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 843mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Jul 12, 2020
I try a lot of meatloaf recipes. My husband loves meatloaf. This recipe is husband approved!
May 18, 2020
This recipe was pronounced phenomenal at my house, with the added "tastes just like grandma's," which is high praise indeed! It has a nice, light texture and it is very moist. The flavors were delicious. I was afraid it would be a bit bland but it was perfect. This is a keeper!
Apr 8, 2020
I was super impressed with this recipe. It was the perfect texture, and every person in the family enjoyed it. Anytime I can sneak some extra veggies in for the kids I'm happy!
Feb 19, 2020
I always double or even triple this delicious recipe because all the guys in my house LOVE it the next 2-3 days as a cold meatloaf sandwich!
Feb 18, 2020
This was Awesome! Best ever ??
Jan 29, 2020
Great meatloaf, added garlic for flavor and horseradish to the sauce.
Jun 4, 2019
This is meatloaf as it should be done. I always add a tbl of mustard seeds. It does make a difference.
Feb 26, 2019
Our families traditional meatloaf; it came from my mother, the best!!!!!
Feb 19, 2019
Feb 19, 2019
Very good recipe. Similar to what I've made for years. The only change I suggest is baking any meat loaf is not to use loaf pans. Shape them on a baking pan so they brown around the sides instead of steam in drippings. Much better flavor IMO.