Over the years, family, friends, co-worker and students have enjoyed this tried-and-true desert. For birthdays, our sons prefer it over birthday cake!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar or chocolate frosting
- In a large saucepan, bring water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil over medium heat. Add flour all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until smooth and shiny.
- Insert a large round tip into a pastry bag; add batter. Pipe into 12 strips (about 3 in. long) 3 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in each for steam to escape; cool.
- For filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan; gradually add milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Stir 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool.
- Split puffs; remove and discard soft dough from inside. Fill eclairs just before serving. Replace tops; dust with confectioners' sugar or spread with frosting. Refrigerate leftovers.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.