Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes. Stir in spices and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. In a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons cilantro.
- Place 1 tortilla in a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Layer with half the meat sauce, 1 tortilla, ricotta mixture, another tortilla and remaining meat sauce. Top with remaining tortilla; sprinkle with cheddar cheese and remaining cilantro.
- Bake, covered, until heated through, 15-20 minutes.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 356 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 2 starch.
Jul 15, 2020
Read reviews and made following changes: used taco type seasonings to beef and added a some orange pepper, mushrooms. I used up some fresh cherry tomatoes (quartered) and approx 1/2 cup salsa in place of canned tomatoe. I had a bag of light tex mex cheese and added grated and squeeze zucchini to the ricotta (cilantro is a tough sell). I covered and backed for 15 min, then added the extra cheeze and green onions for 10 more uncovered. Everyone's plate was cleared. Thanks for the inspiration!
Apr 1, 2020
I made this for dinner. Great starter recipe but I would make a few additions. I would add chopped fresh spinach to the ricotta cheese mixture. I would also up the spices. I like the thought of adding corn as well. I served it with sour cream and sliced avocados.
Feb 23, 2020
Nice lunch dish. I doubled seasoning and garlic, used rotel tomatoes with chilies, added small can of black beans and used cottage cheese with garlic powder and double cilantro. Corn would be good.
Nov 12, 2019
I just made this recipe tonight and it was okay, but honestly I wouldn't ever make it again.
Sep 18, 2019
I have not made this yet instead of ricotta cheese can you us cottage cheese.
May 14, 2019
I've made it like the recipe but have also made it and added more spice, beans and corn
Mar 29, 2019
It was just ok. It was definitely in need of seasoning, which I did to the meat mixture. The ricotta layer is what needs help. Most recipes with ricotta add egg and seasoning.
Mar 28, 2019
Just okay, won’t bother to make again as there is another dish similar to this that is much better
Jan 14, 2019
Delicious and simple to prepare. I made this in a spring form pan which made it simple to serve. We love the ricotta in this dish, but I agree with others that it needed a little more spice and I will do that then next time I make it. Definitely adding to our rotation.
Dec 2, 2018
Love this dish! Quick and easy to put together and a great make-ahead, as well. I used my own Freezer Pleaser Taco Mixture, since I had it on hand.