Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 3 pounds tomatoes (about 12 medium), halved
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place tomatoes in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan, cut side down; brush tops with 1 tablespoon oil. Roast 20-25 minutes or until skins are blistered and charred. Remove and discard skins.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, orange juice, tomato paste and roasted tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes.
- Stir in orange zest, butter, cilantro, honey and salt. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to pot; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 160 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 419mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.
Aug 3, 2020
Sep 17, 2019
This recipe also works very well with a 105 ounce can of crushed tomatoes in tomato purée from Sams club. Increase the Orange, zest, and stock and it is delicious! Also great served chilled (how I had it for the first time at Annie’s Restaurant, they called it Red River Soup).
Oct 31, 2018
This soup is delicious! I made a batch using my homegrown tomatoes and put two pint jars in the freezer. My husband and I enjoyed the remainder for lunch; however, the soup is so good that I don't think those two jars will be in the freezer for very long!
Oct 15, 2018
A bit hit at a soup supper fundraiser! I was asked for the recipe many times. Since tomato season has come and gone, my only substitution was to use 2 28 oz can diced tomatoes instead of the fresh roasted ones. I love that this recipe is light on the dairy, unlike so many other tomato soup recipes.
Oct 18, 2015
What an intriguing combination of flavors! I halved the recipe and omitted the cilantro and used chopped parsley instead. Finished soup was delicious!