Tillie’s Ginger Crumb Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 2 cups. Combine remaining crumb mixture with the remaining ingredients.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the reserved crumbs into a greased 12-in. cast-iron skillet or 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour batter over crumbs and sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 330 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 28, 2020
This recipe was handed down from my great grandmother who was born in the 1880's but we always called it Grandma Keller cake. Whenever friends or family dropped in my mom always threw it together and everyone loved it. Just reading the recipe brought back so many happy memories.
Jun 21, 2020
So easy and really delicious. Great for dessert and as a coffee cake.
Jun 19, 2020
Made 1/2 recipe in a 9" round baker. I kept the spices (except for cloves) at the amounts listed for the full recipe (13x9-in. baker). I reduced the cloves to 1/8 teaspoon (just a pinch). Adjusted baking time as needed for my finicky gas oven. 5-star rating - I love spice cakes - this is now my go-to-cake for any occasion. I cut a slice for breakfast topped with milk -- goodbye commercial cereal. Thank you, Ms Clark of Byron, Michigan.
Jul 21, 2019
Hi I think there is too much flour for the amount of butter. I had to mix the top layer into the cake otherwise it'd just burn. I therefore had to lower the heat so the middle would bake and so the top may burn. Good cake just need to make a few adjustments.
May 9, 2017
This is very similar to a recipe handed down from my great-grandmother who was born in the late 1800's. My grandpa and I loved this cake (our recipe included raisins)--very good with a cup of coffee!