Thumbprint Butter Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons apricot or other fruit preserves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg, oil, vanilla and butter flavoring. In another bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Bake until edges are light brown, 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Fill with preserves.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 75 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 28, 2018
I haven’t made these cookies yet, but when I do I will add preserves before I bake them, as I do with my other thumbprint cookies...
Nov 2, 2018
This is a great recipe for a holiday cookie tray. The cookies are so pretty, and I love varying the flavor of the preserves to add flavor and color variety. They taste really good too!
Jun 19, 2018
hii excellent recipe i made this before, i will try this one
Dec 10, 2013
very good cookies! can be made into smaller balls of dough on cookie sheets, i used my metal tsp bottom to make the holes in the middle, works better but you need to do it again halfway through baking. They look beautiful when filled with your favorite jams! i used my homemade freezer jam! Will definately be a keeper in my house!
Dec 16, 2011
Delicious cookies. The recipe didn't mention the necessity to chill prior to rolling, but my dough was so soft I had to refrigerate for about an hour. I didn't know if the finished cookies would need to be refrigerated, but I did anyway just to be safe. This recipe is definitely a keeper for us, but I would like to know if final refrigeration is necessary.
Dec 21, 2010
Absolutely fantastic!!!!! I made a batch to take to my teacher and all of them were impressed!!! Even the Home Ec teacher said they were marvelous!!!!!
Dec 20, 2010
Since finding this in the magazine it has become a yearly favorite!