Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 2-1/2 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 5 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley or 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh oregano or 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef, pork and sausage in oil; drain. Add onions; cook until tender. Add the tomato sauce and paste, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until beef and pork are tender. Serve with spaghetti.
- Freeze Option: Cool remaining sauce; place in freezer containers. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan and reheat, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 320 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 969mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.
Sep 19, 2008
Muffintop: I do the same for my speghetti sauce except I haven't used the pork but I add mushrooms.
Dec 13, 2007
When I'm in a hurry, I buy ground beef, bulk italian sausage and ground pork. My kids love this sauce! So do I, because it freezes well.
Dec 30, 2006
No comment left