The Ultimate Grilled Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 10 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in the cheeses, garlic powder and seasoned salt. Spread 5 slices of bread with the cheese mixture, about 1/3 cup on each. Top with remaining bread.
- Butter the outsides of sandwiches. In a skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 4-5 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 each: 646 calories, 50g fat (18g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Aug 20, 2020
I made 1/3 recipe for 2, which yielded filling for 2 1/2 sandwiches. I used large sourdough slices and thought the amount of filling was perfect. Great way to use a small amount of cream cheese lurking in the fridge. I used Cabot Extra-Sharp, lowfat shredded mozzarella, and Neufchatel. Next time I will spread the outsides with a thin layer of mayonnaise since grilled cheese sandwiches brown more evenly than with it butter that tends to soak in some parts but not others. Although fattening the sandwich is not as caloric as grilled cheese with bacon, 5 kinds of cheese, and avocado. I love the idea of grating the cheese and mixing all together, as that makes it easier to assemble. This is my second time to make this. A keeper!
Jun 11, 2020
No comment left
Jun 10, 2020
3/4 Cup of mayo for the filling.... Yeiks. How can I add more fat to a grilled cheese without adding more cheese? I get it. More like a dip that you dont have to re-dip
Feb 4, 2019
This ended up way too messy, and I didn't care for the taste or texture. I will stick to putting only cheese on a grilled cheese sandwich and no longer mixing with the mayo and cream cheese.
Jan 21, 2019
No comment left
Jul 28, 2018
We didn't care for the cream cheese and mayonnaise in our sandwich. Also thought it could use a couple of more kinds of cheese to make it a really cheesy grilled cheese sandwich.
Jun 3, 2018
Not much more than “cheese” sandwich, I’ll submit what shoulD be referred to as “ultimate” grilled cheese
May 24, 2018
Messy, better if you spread a thin layer. Garlic is a little strong.
May 10, 2018
Very good, very tasty. This goes great with a bowl of creamy tomato soup.
Mar 15, 2018
Love cheese recipies-sandwitch looks great-will try to get it in a large restaurent.thanks for the recipe