The Best Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 blocks (4 ounces each) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 block (4 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Minced chives, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, mustard, salt and pepper; cook until onion is tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant. Whisk in flour; continue whisking 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk in milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened slightly, 8-10 minutes. Gradually stir in 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese; stir in Monterey Jack cheese. Add potatoes and toss to coat. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer potato mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Top with bread crumbs; return to oven until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with chives.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 378 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 646mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
May 31, 2020
I really enjoyed these potatoes. I followed the recipe and they came out nicely. Will definitely make again.
Mar 30, 2020
Really good! They had to cook much longer than stated, however.
Jan 17, 2019
I know I am in the minority but thought these were just pretty good, have several potato recipes I like better. I use white sauces a lot but this sauce was kind of too sticky and did not meld too well with the potatoes.They look very nice and The taste was good, but I made these for New Years Eve and wished I had used my family's cheese potatoes that I like better.
Jun 2, 2018
These were really good! My family enjoyed them! I will be making this again soon!
Dec 6, 2017
Hands down the best scalloped potato recipe I have ever made!
Dec 6, 2017
Not sure what I did wrong, but mine came out brown gross mush. Followed the instructions perfectly. Kids even thought maybe it was a prank recipe. Maybe we just don't like scalloped potatoes. Will stick to Augratin. Lol. #thanksgivingsidedishdisaster
Jul 10, 2017
Amazing!!! Followed recipe exactly. We have always had problems with scalloped potatoes and cooking time, flavor was generally good but under cooked. These came out perfectly tender and absolutely delicious, with a beautiful crusty top!
Apr 12, 2017
I have been looking for a good scalloped potato recipe for decades but every one I tried never came out the way I liked. This one was perfect. I did make some variations on this recipe. I hate onions so i left them out & i left off the bread crumb topping as well. Also, I didn't have any monterey jack cheese so i used pepper jack. It gave the potatoes a nice kick! This one is a keeper!