Texas Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb, but do not peel or separate cloves. Cut top off of garlic bulb, exposing individual cloves. Brush cut cloves with 1 teaspoon oil. Wrap in foil. Bake until cloves are soft, 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over low heat, heat remaining oil. Add the chopped onion; cook until golden brown, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a food processor. Process until blended; set aside.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain; return to pan. Squeeze softened garlic onto potatoes; add butter, sour cream, cheese, milk, salt, pepper and onion. Beat until mashed.
Freeze option: Place cooled mashed potato mixture in a freezer container and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high, stirring twice and adding a little milk if necessary, until heated through.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 236 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 18, 2017
I love garlic mashed potatoes and these were so easy and delicious. Very flavorful and creamy. Will make again.
Nov 16, 2014
No comment left
Dec 4, 2013
I like the creaminess of cream cheese, so I added softened cream cheese to this. It was perfect.
Oct 29, 2013
I didn't add sour cream but I added milk. It still tasted great!
Aug 12, 2013
No comment left
Mar 24, 2013
Very nice! A crowd pleaser!
Dec 18, 2012
This is the best mashed potato recipe ever!
Nov 18, 2012
Awesome potatoes! Loved them!!
Jan 2, 2012
Wow! Awesome! Bit hit with all. Served more like 4 in my family rather than 6. I think most went back for seconds.
Feb 6, 2011
Yum! Yum! Yum! I happened to serve this with a lemon chicken recipe, and they flavor complimented it perfectly! :)