Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- Pinch ground cumin
- 7 pita breads (6 inches), halved
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced jalapenos
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning, water, beans, tomatoes and cumin. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup into each pita half; top with about 2 tablespoons cheese and a few jalapeno slices. Place in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 623 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 1526mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 42g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 28, 2010
Quick, easy recipe. Usually have everything on hand. My only addition would be to top with lettuce when done baking!
Apr 1, 2010
Even my picky sons ate it. Much more filling than a regular taco. Quick and easy too!
Mar 6, 2008
No comment left