Tangy Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 30 frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs (about 15 ounces)
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Hot cooked rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside. Add water to juice if needed to measure 1 cup; pour into a large skillet. Add 1/3 cup water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and cornstarch; stir until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Add the pineapple, meatballs and green pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, until heated through, about 20 minutes. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts5 meatballs: 389 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Aug 6, 2020
Quick and easy. Makes a nice thick authentic Chinese sweet and sour sauce. Really brings out the flavor of the meatballs. Not something I would make once a week but I will definitely make this again.
Jul 23, 2020
Huge hit in my house. Even my picky 11 year old loved it!! Every last bit was gone. Will definitely make again.
Jul 21, 2020
This was so easy! My family loves this. I made this using gluten free meatballs so everyone in my family could have this! Definitely keeping this recipe on hand!
Apr 16, 2020
Very quick and easy and good too!
Jul 15, 2019
Had never thought of adding pineapple and peppers to meatballs. Great flavor combination. Will make again!
Jun 25, 2019
The kids weren't huge fans, but my husband and I were. They don't love warm pineapple, so I think to make it kid friendly at my house I would just use the juice in the sauce and increase the peppers (my kids LOVE peppers). Fantastic recipe. I wouldn't change a think for myself!
Mar 17, 2018
No comment left
Jan 24, 2018
No comment left
Nov 30, 2017
Delish. Everyone loved it. I did add more peppers, red & yellow ones. When I make it again I will add more carrots as well. But overall this is a keeper!
Oct 15, 2017
Easy and tasty. Used red pepper, since I didn't have green on hand. Younger child might prefer green next time!