Tangy and Sweet Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 10 gingersnaps, finely crushed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, onion, bread crumbs and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in batches in oil. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until cookie crumbs are dissolved. Pour over meatballs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 526 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 155mg cholesterol, 1226mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Aug 23, 2020
These meatballs are the very best. My whole family raves about this recipe.( My husband is a very picky eaters). That just show that these really are the best. I also served them over rice.
Jul 2, 2020
I'd used 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. onion powder to the sauce. These meatballs are delicious!
Jan 22, 2020
Made to a T - sooooooo good!!!
Sep 15, 2019
I've made these meatballs since this recipe was originally published. Nm it is a family favorite! The gingersnaps gravy is something special! It makes a big serving, so I make two smaller trays and freeze one for later. Nothing says Fall like these meatballs and mashed potatoes!
Sep 12, 2019
Delicious and it has become a family meal and now my daughter is using this delicious recipe too!
Dec 17, 2017
I'm sorry this isn't a review but a question...is there a mis-statement in the nutritional information? 1226mg sodium per each? Per each meatball? Per each serving? Even if it's per servings, this number seems extraordinarily high.
Jul 24, 2017
No comment left
Jan 24, 2017
Easy to make and pretty good!
Dec 30, 2015
These are excellent meatballs! My family loves these with mashed potatoes.
Dec 23, 2015
FINALLY!!!! Someone can actually post a recipe that includes the recipe for the meatballs! I haven't tried these yet, but the fact that there's a meatball recipe earns it 5 stars for me. THANK YOU!!! They sound delicious and will give them a try, even if it's for my pleasure at home.