Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup refried beans
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced ripe olives and sour cream
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in chili powder and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in refried beans; heat through.
- Spread 1/4 cup sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spread 1 tablespoon sauce over each tortilla; place 2/3 cup meat mixture down the center of each. Top each with 1/4 cup cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Serve with optional toppings as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 tacorito: 627 calories, 40g fat (19g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 1131mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Apr 29, 2020
Here is a suggestion for those who have trouble with the flavoring and thickening. Add the chili powder to the flour mixture before combining it with the fat. The chili powder needs to toast a bit to open up the flavor. Be sure to simmer it long enough to let enough water evaporate and it should eventually thicken and that also will help boost the flavor. Stir it frequently to make sure it doesn't stick or burn. Good luck!
Oct 25, 2019
Loved it! Super fun!
Jan 6, 2019
This was a hearty meal. The sauce was flavorful, but it took me two tries to get it thick enough. Make sure to add the water slowly. The beef/sausage mixture gave it some great flavor. It was good served with salsa and sour cream.
Jul 2, 2017
This is easy to fix and has a pleasing Mexican flavor!! We will fix this again and again!!
Aug 26, 2016
I love this recipe. I especially love the sauce, I could just drink it with a straw! It's a hit with my kids and husband, too.
Jul 27, 2016
I made the sauce didn't care for it, so I used enchilada sauce, i also used corn tortillas but torn them & layed it, added green chilies to the mest mixture, & added some cheddar cheese. It was a hit, thank you for sharing this one
Jun 17, 2015
I love this meal I just hate that the sauce never thickens for me I dont know why but ugh that bothers me
Dec 11, 2014
Made this with flour tortillas.Delicious.
Apr 27, 2014
Made this for dinner tonight with the following changes. Used 2lbs of ground beef and added Enchilada seasoning mix to the sauce and the meat. I also made my "refried beans" in the crock pot. I thought this was very good and will definitely make again. I also liked that the beans were "hidden" as my kids generally won't eat them.
Aug 24, 2013
No comment left