Taco-Filled Pasta Shells
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
Makes2 casseroles (6 servings each)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each casserole):
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1-1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Transfer to a bowl; cool. Chill for 1 hour.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Gently toss with butter. Fill each shell with about 3 tablespoons of meat mixture. Place 12 half of shells in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To prepare remaining shells, spoon 1 cup salsa into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with remaining stuffed shells and 1 cup taco sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with 1 cup each of cheeses and 1-1/2 cups chips. Bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with sour cream and onions.
- Freeze option: To use frozen shells, thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours (shells will be partially frozen). Spoon 1 cup salsa into a greased 9-in. square baking dish; top with shells and 1 cup taco sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover. Sprinkle with 1 cup each of cheeses and 1-1/2 cups chips; proceed as directed.
Nutrition Facts2 shells: 492 calories, 31g fat (16g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 982mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Aug 12, 2020
I've been making this recipe ever since it first appeared in an issue of TOH almost 20 years ago. It's one of the few freezer meals that everyone in my family enjoys. I love how this recipe is both kid-friendly and suitable for casual entertaining.
Aug 12, 2020
I admit I have not yet tried this recipe, but it sounds yummy. I was a little confused about the taco sauce? I am not familiar with with that is. Can anyone help me?
Apr 29, 2020
My family loved this dish. Even my 8 year old granddaughter loved it and has requested for me to make it again! She is allergic to eggs and I was so happy to find a recipe she likes.
May 6, 2019
No comment left
Feb 25, 2019
This was delishious!! I made as written but added chopped onion and a can of black beans to the meat
Feb 23, 2019
I halved the recipe because we only had one pound of hamburger in the fridge. I was able to stuff full 12 manicotti pasta pieces with the hamburger mix instead of the pasta shells called for. (There were 14 in the package so I stuffed the remaining two with shredded cheese.) My favorite Mexican restaurant in Oak Harbor WA tops their enchiladas with Parmesan cheese so I add that to my baked dishes as well, on top of the shredded Colby cheese and green onions. I used all the other requested ingredients. This dish was a big hit and will be in frequent rotation. It’s a lot more work than my super fast lazy chicken tacos (just sliced chicken mixed with salsa and shredded cheese melted on top) but I think it’s worth it.
Jan 24, 2019
I divided this into 1/4 to use leftover ground beef and cream cheese that I had. It was the perfect size for just my husband and I. I think I was able to get them into 9 shells without there being way too little in each shell. I made everything else as-is, except I lowered the butter to 1/2 tbsp instead of the full one. I thought this was very tasty! I also liked having some extra taco sauce leftover so we could add more afterwards if we wanted. Really enjoyed this and will be making it again.
Feb 18, 2018
Finally made these for the first time and we can't wait until I make them again. Didn't change a thing....... Perfection!!
Oct 15, 2017
Very good. I just made the entire recipe at once in a 13x9. Next time I would reduce the taco sauce a bit. It was too much all at once.
Aug 11, 2017