Swiss Potato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes4 servings (1 quart)
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add water, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into potato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 455 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1218mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Mar 4, 2020
Love a recipe my entire family devours. Delicious and creamy. Hearty winter meal. Did use chicken broth instead of water, would suggest to others to do the same.
Jan 27, 2020
I used chicken broth instead of water. It was very tasty and creamy. The swiss cheese gave it great taste but I think cheddar would also be good in this recipe.
Jan 3, 2020
Great soup. Also used chicken broth instead of water. Will make again for sure!
Dec 10, 2019
Didn't have the Swiss cheese so I subbed x-old white cheddar also added the bacon bits
Dec 10, 2019
Used chicken broth instead of water. Added some thyme and celery salt. Yummy!!!! Great simple recipe. Love swiss!
Nov 28, 2016
Oh. My. This is sooooo good. I had Swiss cheese in the fridge but when I went to get it to make this soup, it was gone so I used sharp cheddar and it was still so good. This will be made over and over again. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Sep 16, 2012
this is one of the best soups i have every had.
Jan 31, 2012
Nov 20, 2010