Swirled Herb Bread
The spiral filling in this savory bread makes it an impressive addition to menus. When serving it with spaghetti or lasagna, try sprinkling a little Parmesan cheese on top.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, salt and sugar. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; set aside.
- Punch down dough; divide in half. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll each portion into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Spread filling over each to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- Place seam side down in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until browned. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.