Sweet Potato Praline Pie
"I wanted to create a recipe that was similar to pumpkin pie, but had a new twist. The macadamia nuts are a family favorite and the praline topping is what makes this pie special and enjoyable." –Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 jar (3 ounces) macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sweet potatoes, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Pour into pastry. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 25 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Sprinkle nuts over pie; drizzle with caramel. Place a foil-lined baking sheet on a rack below the pie to catch any spills. Bake the pie 10-15 minutes longer or until caramel starts to bubble. Cover edges with foil to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
- Garnish pie with whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers.