Sweet Potato Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 to 5 teaspoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with sweet potatoes. Beat just until combined (batter will be stiff).
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange zest and enough juice to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake.
Nov 24, 2019
I've been using this recipe for 2year its always a hit. I've found that using can sweet potatoes are best for me. I love this cake
Oct 24, 2019
Just made it. The cake was indeed moist, but it lacked sweetness. Not feeling the taste at all.
Oct 1, 2019
Love, love, love this recipe!
Oct 20, 2017
Based on the other reviews, I have to try this again. I found it wayyy too sweet with 2 full cups of sugar. I'll reduce that considerably next time! I expect I'll get a 5-star cake then.
Nov 25, 2016
I have a large tube pan so I refigured the ingredients to equal a batter and a half,the cake came out tall, light and moist, great recipe
Oct 19, 2016
I have made this heavenly cake several times. The texture is light, very moist and not too sweet. This cake is a winner!
Nov 28, 2015
After reading reviews about the cake being dry I tweaked the recipe by adding 1 cup of canola oil to the batter and the cake was super moist and really good. It's a hit and makes the house smell really good while it cooks. Definitely will be making this cake again!!!!
Mar 12, 2014
I searched for a recipe for a long time, this sounded to easy to be true and taste good,well it's not good but GREAT!! I didn't put nutmeg in and still great.
Dec 7, 2013
My husband requested a sweet potato cake for his birthday. I thought it was very moist and the orange glaze really complemented it.
Sep 27, 2013
I made this cake for a friend earlier this month and it was delicious everyone loved it. I made a butter cream icing using the orange peel and juice but only icing the top of the cake.