Sweet Potato & Chorizo Croquettes
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 12 ounces each), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 14 ounces fresh chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2 cups (8 ounces) queso fresco or shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Pretzel sticks and fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 400° Place sweet potatoes on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat. Roast potatoes 30-40 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook chorizo over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes; add to chorizo. Stir in cheese, egg, paprika, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls. Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Roll balls in crumbs to coat. In an electric skillet or a deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry balls in batches 4-6 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
- Decorate with pretzel sticks and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 croquette: 110 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 6, 2017
Delicious and fairly easy. Good flavor. I added red pepper flakes to the mix because we like things spicy. Serve with a side of Pico de Gallo and you've got a winner. The only reason for 4 stars instead of five was the pretzel, it had no use and didn't go with the flavor profile.