Sweet Potato Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with onions, undrained
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the sweet potatoes and water in a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 6 minutes or until tender; drain.
- In a Dutch oven, saute chicken in oil for 8-9 minutes or until juices run clear. Add the cabbage, broth, peas, tomatoes, celery, tomato juice, pepper, salt and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 250 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 907mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein.
Apr 14, 2011
I made this recipe for dinner tonight and it turned out great. I did not have tomato juice and instead of black eyed peas, I used a can of white cannelini beans instead. I thought it was quite yummy. I put some crescent rolls in the oven and they paired great with the hearty stew. Next time I might make it with white potatoes instead of sweet potatoes to see how it turns out.