Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1-3/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and place in a food processor. Add the eggs, butter, milk and extracts; cover and process until smooth. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and flour. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over sweet potato mixture; sprinkle with pecans. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until set.
Nov 14, 2014
I make this every year but add a touch of maple syrup to the potatos and 2 tablespoons more butter to the topping. everyone loves it!!
Oct 27, 2014
It was OK but not fantastic. I liked the idea of not having sugar in the sweet potatoes but on instead. My potatoes turned out very fluffy. I will try this recipe again but not in the food processor. I will try mashing with a hand mixer. They just turned out too thin. The topping was ok but I think I would prefer melting the butter and mixing with the sugar and flour rather than cut butter for more of a crumb topping. I will also add cinnamon.
Sep 18, 2011
This recipe won everyone in my family over. Nothing else will do during the holidays now. I manage a kitchen for a summer camp, & we make this to serve 70. The Campers love it!