Sweet and Sour Meatballs with Pineapple
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, undrained
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil, turning often. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside; drain.
- To the skillet, add the pineapple, green peppers, sugar, vinegar, oil and soy sauce. Cover and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Return meatballs to skillet; simmer until meat is no longer pink.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 328 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 416mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Apr 27, 2015
I was looking for a simple and tasty meatball recipe and this fit the bill. I did reduce the amount of sugar to 1/3 cup and used tidbits. Great recipe!
Jan 9, 2008
These are delicious. Served at a party as an appetizer, and all the ladies wanted the recipe!